A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is among the most severe and debilitating injuries a person can suffer. A TBI is an injury to the brain caused by an external force, such as a blow to the head or a penetrating head injury. According to the CDC, about 1.5 million Americans suffer from TBIs each year. These incredibly serious injuries are often the consequence of slip and falls, car, motorcycle, or truck accidents.
Anyone who sustains a head injury should seek immediate treatment, no matter how mild the case. It’s estimated that over 80,000 Americans face long-term disabilities from traumatic brain injuries each year.
Free Consultations For Dade City Traumatic Brain Injury Victims
With such dire consequences, TBI victims need experience and support on their side. The severe trauma of the injury is only part of the equation. TBI victims frequently suffer psycholgoically and emotionally on top of their physical injuries. When you or a loved one suffer a TBI because of someone else’s negligecne, Robert Sparks Attorneys can help. Our team of dedicated Dade City traumatic brain injury attorneys have a wealth of experience in helping clients through this incredibly difficult time.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to learn more.
What Makes Brain Injuries Traumatic?
The fact is, all head injuries have the chance of becoming a traumatic brain injury. The human brain is extremely fragile, and any injury or damage to it can be extremely debilitating. Specifically, a traumatic brain injury (TBI) occurs when damage to the brain is caused by external physical forces, like a car accident or a fall from a height.
The nature of traumatic brain injuries means that there is no short-term remedy. It can be impossible to ever discover the extent of a brain injury, as TBIs frequently cause serious long-term implications for the victim. Worse yet, there’s no quick and easy way to diagnose and treat a TBI.
While there are a wide variety of TBIs, some of the most common occur from the following:
- Swelling of the brain (edemas)
- Blood clotting inside the brain (hematomas)
- Hemorrhaging inside the brain
- Fracture of the skull
Another issue with TBIs is that every person experiences different symptoms, as their body reacts differently to try to deal with the trauma and brain injury. Most often, TBI symptoms include:
- Memory loss
- Changes in vision or hearing
- Sleep problems
- Slurred speech, loss of words
- Emotional changes, depression, etc.
When you’re diagnosed with a TBI, you need to make sure to be completely honest about any underlying factors that may contribute to the injury. One of the worst aspects of a TBI is that the symptoms from these injuries have far-reaching implications for the person, meaning that over time, they will likely worsen.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries in Dade City?
Because the brain and skull are so fragile, virtually any sudden jolt or contact can cause a traumatic brain injury. As such, there are a number of different scenarios in which this could happen. Typically, traumatic brain injuries arise out of the following situations:
- Slip and falls – A fall can cause a TBI by the head striking a hard surface or by the head and brain being jolted within the skull. This can result in injury to the brain tissue, blood vessels, or the bone of the skull itself. Factors in the fall, like the height and surface upon which you landed, all play a part in the severity of the TBI.
- Being struck by or colliding with an object – Another common cause of a TBI is when you or another person are struck by an object or when you collide with an object. This can cause a whiplash effect in some cases, which can cause a TBI. Other times, your skull can be penetrated by an object.
- Car accidents – Car accidents are another common cause of TBIs. The impact of the collision alone is usually enough to cause a TBI, but there are other causes from car accidents, as well. One way is a whiplash effect from the collision. A TBI can also occur due to a lack of oxygen to the brain as a result of injury to the neck or chest, or due to other factors such as bleeding or swelling in the brain.
While there are other causes of TBIs, elderly people and children are particularly vulnerable to sustaining them.
Implications of a TBI in Dade City
The potential implications of a TBI are staggering. On top of your physical injuries and complications, the mental and emotional damage are often just as significant. Another huge issue with TBIs is the medical costs associated with them. Not only are they substantial in hte immediate aftermath of your injury, but they will also likely last for the duration of your life. While every TBI case is unique, some of the common costs include:
- Ambulance services
- Emergency room care
- In-home care
- Surgery costs
- Long-term hospital care
- Diagnostic costs
- Medical specialists fees
- Loss of future income if unable to work
- Property damage or vehicle repair
- Prescription medication or medical device costs
Facing a traumatic brain injury is difficult enough on its own, but when you factor in medical and insurance processes, it can feel insurmountable. However, with the right treatment plan and the experience and support of an experienced Dade City TBI attorney on your side, progress is possible.
How a Dade City Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney Can Help You
Having our experienced Dade City personal injury attorneys on your side when you or a lvoed one has been diagnosed with a TBI is critical to helping you and your family move forward. Not only can we guide you through the claims process, which can become extremely complicated in these types of cases, but we can also provide you with the validation and emotional support you need to get through the process.
A TBI case is unique, even by legal standards. Victims of TBIs have to be treated with special care, since they often have mental and emotional complications that make it difficult to recall events and remember important aspects of their claim. Thus, an experienced TBI attorney will have a plan in place to pursue your claim. This usually includes:
- Help you gather and analyze medical records
- Refer you to brain injury specialists that can give you specialized care
- Consult with brain injury experts and specialists to determine the status of your TBI
- Help you determine who or what entity is at fault for your TBI
- Negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance provider
- File a lawsuit on your behalf
- Handle the day-to-day responsibilities of your TBI claim
Understandably, most TBI victims may not know where to turn for support. TBIs require not just extensive medical care, but substantial legal support as well. More than that, they also require patience and understanding. At Robert Sparks Attorneys, we provide our clients with all of the above.
Experience and Support From Dedicated Dade City Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys
Our team of Dade City traumatic brain injury attorneys at Robert Sparks Attorneys are serious about getting results for our clients. We work diligently to provide every client with the best legal representation possible, especially our clients with TBIs.
We understand how this serious injury can change the course of a your life instantly, and we strive to help our clients achieve the financial, medical, and emotional support they need. We are proud to offer free consultations to any traumatic brain injury accident victim. Contact us today to get started.