BICYCLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN TAMPA
Millions of Dollars Recovered for the Injured
According to statistics released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, more than 1,000 bicyclists were killed in crashes, and nearly 467,000 more were injured. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also reports that Florida is the single most dangerous state for bicyclists, with an average of 110 cyclist deaths every year – Only California has more with 113 on average, but with nearly double the population. Far too many of these accidents are caused by negligent motorists who fail to share the road and yield the right of way to cyclists.
If you were hit while riding your bicycle, fill out our online form today and receive a free consultation.
At Robert Sparks Attorneys, our Tampa personal injury lawyers have won millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients in court and at the negotiation table. In every case we take on, we fight to pursue maximum financial compensation for our clients in order to ensure they can move on to the next phase of their life in the best position possible. If you were seriously injured in a bicycle accident, reach out to our firm today to tell us about your situation and begin planning out your next steps.
What Causes a Bike Crash?
While there’s always a chance that you could get in an accident anywhere in the world, there are a few situations that make riding on the road a bit more dangerous than other places.
- Turning into Your Path from the Opposite Direction: A common way that bicycles and cars can crash into each other is when the vehicle is driving in the opposite direction from the cyclist and cuts you off while making a left turn. These types of crashes are often the result of driver inattention, which can range from not seeing the cyclist until it’s too late to get out of the way to misjudging the speed that the cyclist is approaching.
- Turning into Your Path from the Same Direction: Similar to the previous cause, vehicles traveling in the same direction as a cyclist can still cut off the lane by making a right turn into your lane. These types of collisions are often the result of the driver not properly checking their blind spot or by misjudging your speed.
- Opening Doors of Parked Cars: If you’re biking through a city, chances are that part of your ride will take place in a bike lane that runs parallel to parking spots. If people are preparing to get out of their cars and don’t take the time to check for oncoming bikers, there’s a risk that they open the door and cut off your lane and cause you to crash.
- Rear Ending: Sometimes drivers aren’t just negligent, they’re outright reckless. Whether they were driving while distracted or driving too fast to stop in time, getting rear-ended by a car poses a serious risk to both your bike and your safety.
Tips To Avoid A Crash
Even though it’s everyone’s responsibility to practice safe driving techniques, people can make mistakes or even ignore regulations altogether. There are several steps you can take to do your best to mitigate the chances of being involved in a collision, even though there’s no way to protect yourself from every possibility.
- Stay Alert: Constantly looking around for any potential hazards is a necessity, especially if you’re biking in heavily congested areas like cities. It’s also a good idea to avoid wearing headphones; your eyes can only see so much, but your ears may be able to pick up oncoming dangers and give you that extra split second to react and avoid injury.
- Wear the Right Gear: Whether or not you choose to wear head to toe biker gear, make sure to wear bright and/or reflective clothing, especially if you’re going out at night. Staying as visible as possible gives anyone sharing the road with you a better chance to see you and avoid getting in your way.
- Get a Headlight: Keeping your bicycle’s headlight on will keep you visible, especially at night. It’s a good idea to keep it on at all times, even on a cloudless afternoon, especially if the light has a strobe setting.
Give us a call at (813) 375-0109 to discuss your case with a member of our firm.
Hire An Experienced Attorney Today
If you were seriously injured in a bicycle accident, you deserve the chance to fight for your rights. At Robert Sparks Attorneys, our Tampa bicycle accident attorneys are committed to providing each client we take on with the passionate and knowledgeable assistance they require in their time of need. Give us a call at (813) 375-0109 to explain your situation to a member of our firm today, or start out with a free case consultation by filling out our online form.