Due to the high amount of traffic, crosswalks in Dade City are among the most dangerous places on the road. As a pedestrian, you have to not only focus on getting across the street but also have to watch out for any vehicles that are coming your way. By the same token, vehicles are constantly streaming through intersections and crosswalks, but aren’t always exercising the appropriate amount of caution. Not surprisingly, this often leads to crosswalk accidents.
When most people think about car accidents, they think about collisions between two or more drivers. But crosswalk accidents are among the most dangerous since they usually involve a pedestrian being struck by a vehicle. These accidents, obviously, can lead to serious, life-threatening injuries. That’s why it’s important to understand how they happen and what to do if you find yourself injured in one of these unfortunate accidents.
Free Consultations For Dade City Crosswalk Accident Victims
When you’re injured in a crosswalk accident, it can be extremely frustrating. More often than not, you were following the rules and simply trying to cross the street the way you were supposed to. Still, crosswalks are ripe for accidents, because people sometimes fail to stay alert. No matter what the cause of your crosswalk accident was, our team of experienced Dade City personal injury attorneys can help.
At Robert Sparks Attorneys, we have developed a proven system of success in claims like these, helping clients get the support and benefits they need to get back on the road to recovery. To learn more about how our team can help you, contact us today for a free consultation.
What Are Crosswalk Accidents and How Do They Happen in Dade City?
As the name suggests, crosswalk accidents refer to any accident that occurs at or near a crosswalk. These areas are typically extremely busy, with both pedestrian and regular traffic. In order to combat these issues, many of these areas institute street lights and other signs as a way to manage the traffic. While they typically perform this task, there are times when crosswalk accidents still happen.
Crosswalk accidents occur for many of the same reasons that other car accidents occur. However, these accidents are unique in that they predominantly occur in urban areas, particularly on busy streets. Dade City has several of these areas, which have a much higher number of crosswalk accidents than rural areas of Pasco County because of higher population levels and layouts of streets. Most of the time, crosswalk accidents are caused by the following negligent actions by drivers:
- Distracted driving or texting while driving
- Cars and other vehicles not yielding to pedestrians at crosswalks
- Turning at intersections without looking both ways
- Driving too fast or recklessly
- Failure to follow posted speed limits
- Drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs
- Problems in the design of crosswalk locations, including failure to consider traffic flows
As with any accident between a vehicle and a pedestrian, injuries and other damages are likely to occur because a pedestrian has virtually no protection against the size, weight, and speed of a vehicle. That said, there are certain ways in which both pedestrians and drivers can reduce the risk of crosswalk accidents.
Can Crosswalk Accidents Be Prevented in Dade City?
Obvioulsy, there are a number of different scenarios that can cause a crosswalk accident in Dade City. But you may be wondering if they can be prevented. To answer that question, you first have to consider the perspective. The vast majority of crosswalk accidents occur between a car and a pedestrian, so prevention–or at least reducing the chances–of a crosswalk accident depends on whether you are a driver or a pedestrian.
For pedestrians, it’s always a good idea to:
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing
- Take extra caution at night, when most crosswalk accidents occur
- Increase your visibility any way you can, from using your phone’s flashlight feature to reflective clothing.
- Obey traffic signals and the walk/wait crosswalk indicator
- Avoid alcohol and drug use when walking
Likewise, drivers can cut down on the chances of a crosswalk accident by:
- Slowing down when nearing a crosswalk
- Staying alert and focused by not driving distracted or drowsy
- Obeying traffic laws and signs
- Looking out for pedestrians & bicyclists before entering a crosswalk
- Using caution at night, when most pedestrian accidents occur
- Not driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Again, total prevention of a crosswalk accident is impossible. However, knowing how to respond when one happens to you or a loved one can make a huge difference in the overall recovery process.
Common Injuries in Dade City Crosswalk Accidents
The very nature of crosswalk accidents in Dade City usually means serious injuries to the victim. Since most crosswalk accident victims are either younger children or older adults, injuries are often more severe. Moreover, these accidents predominantly occur at night, making it more difficult to get quick and effective medical care, which is crucial in the early stages of an injury.
When there is a crosswalk accident in Dade City, you can expect to encounter these common injuries:
- Broken bones or fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal injuries
- Lacerations or bruises
- Loss of limbs
Crosswalk accidents are unpredictable, and so too are the injuries that can result. Oftentimes, you will suffer a variety of different injuries. Moreover, because crosswalk accidents are traumatic, you will also likely suffer emotional and psychological damage to go along with any physical injuries.
What Can I Do After a Crosswalk Accident in Dade City?
Every crosswalk accident case is unique and has its own set of facts and circumstances that will determine how much support you will receive from the person who was at fault. While every claim is somewhat of a gamble, working with our team of experienced personal injury attorneys can make sure your claim is as strong as possible.
Filing a claim for damages in a Dade City crosswalk accident can help you recover the following:
- Medical bills and other costs.
- Costs of any ongoing medical care
- Costs related to medical devices, like wheelchairs, canes, or artificial limbs.
- Lost income from missing work.
- Lost earning capacity from any permanent injuries that make it impossible for you to return to work.
- Physical pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress.
- Loss of consortium with a spouse.
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life.
- Costs related to scarring and disfigurement
- Punitive damages in cases where the at-fault party intentionally harmed you or was grossly negligent.
While these are available damages to your claim, every case is different. This means that crosswalk accident victims in Dade City can recover these general damages, but the extent depends on the circumstances and facts of the particular case.
Trust Robert Sparks Attorneys With Your Dade City Crosswalk Accident Case
At Robert Sparks Attorneys, we’re serious about helping our clients get what they’re owed. No matter what type of injury or accident you’ve been in, we can help. Our team of skilled, experienced, and dedicated Dade City personal injury attorneys know how to get results. We help you gather evidence, make an insurance claim, and if necessary, file a lawsuit to get the support you need.
If you’ve been injured in a Dade City crosswalk accident, don’t hesitate to contact us. We are proud to offer free consultations for any injury victim. You can trust us with your claim.