When you’re facing divorce in Tampa, it can be incredibly difficult. Not only do you have to deal with the breakup of your marriage, but there are also any number of other issues that are involved–all of which are highly emotional and sometimes complex. Because of this emotion and complexity, some divorce lawyers have a reputation for being very aggressive, to the point that they have been referred to as “sharks.”
However, some divorces don’t require the need to involve a lawyer at all. However, because most divorces are so emotional and challenging, it’s helpful to have experience and dedication on your side. But you may be wondering if you need a “shark” divorce lawyer. The answer there depends, again, on your circumstances.
Types of Divorces in Tampa
More and more, divorce is becoming a necessary step for many marriages in Tampa and elsewhere in Florida. In terms of the legal framework, Florida operates as a “no-fault” divorce state. This implies that either party can initiate a divorce without the need to provide a specific reason, as long as the marriage is deemed “irretrievably broken.”
Within the context of divorce law in Florida, a marriage is categorized as “irretrievably broken” when there is:
- A significant and lasting breakdown within the marital relationship.
The phrase “irretrievably broken” means that a couple can’t fix their problems or work out their disagreements. This means they can’t make their marriage better by talking or trying to work things out. It’s like they’ve reached a point where staying married just isn’t possible anymore.
When people decide to get a divorce, they can go in two different ways: contested or non-contested:
- Non-Contesed divorce – A non-contested divorce is when both you and your spouse, along with your lawyers, try to settle things by talking and finding solutions. This is instead of going to court.
- Contested divorce – On the other hand, a contested divorce is the traditional way of going to court to solve divorce problems. In these situations, you and your spouse can’t agree on important things like who gets to take care of the children, how to divide what you own, or who should pay for things. So, a judge has to make these decisions for you. This kind of divorce takes more time and money because it involves more arguing and can end up in a formal trial process.
Deciding between a contested or non-contested divorce ultimately depends on how you and your spouse get along. Lots of divorces start by trying to work together, but sometimes they end up needing the court when they can’t agree. To get ready for this, you should be aware of what a “shark” lawyer is and whether or not you–or your spouse–really need one.
What is a Shark Divorce Lawyer and Do You Really Need One in Tampa?
There’s no official definition of a “shark” lawyer. It’s a general term that has been known to be applied to a lawyer that has a reputation for being:
- Skilled at supporting their client’s interests during proceedings
These lawyers are often willing to take a tough stance in negotiations and court hearings to ensure their client’s best outcome.
When Is a “Shark” Divorce Lawyer In Your Best Interest?
Whether you need a “shark” in Tampa–or anywhere else in Florida–depends on your specific situation. A “shark” divorce lawyer could prove beneficial to you if your divorce involves:
- Complex assets
- Significant disputes over child custody or support
- An uncooperative spouse
At the same time, it’s important to take into account your preferences and communication style. You may prefer a more cooperative and pleasant method of approaching your divorce, which could put a premium on mediation and reaching agreements. However, if your relationship with your spouse is broken down to the point that a confrontational legal battle is unavoidable, you’ll want to make sure your lawyer will fight for your interests. Ultimately, it’s up to you and your comfort level.
How Can Our Team of Tampa Divorce Lawyers Help You?
Through our years of working with Tampa clients in divorces, our team has developed a proven system of success in making sure our clients’ rights and interests are taken care of. While we would never call ourselves “sharks”, we do take a great deal of pride in our seriousness and assertiveness when advocating for our clients. Here’s what we can do for you:
- We’ll explain the range of legal options and rights you have.
- We’ll help you with any initial filings and paperwork.
- We can help you gather financial documents and other evidence of assets and property.
- We’ll guide you through the complexities of child custody and support arrangements, helping you prioritize the well-being of your children.
- We’ll help you understand your rights and obligations regarding spousal support, and work towards a resolution that’s fair for both parties.
While we can’t provide therapy, we do understand the emotional toll divorce can take. Our compassionate approach includes providing support and understanding as you navigate this challenging time.
Get Serious With Our Tampa Divorce Lawyers
At Robert Sparks Attorneys, we’re serious about helping our clients through a divorce in Tampa. When you need strong, experienced guidance, you can count on our team of Tampa divorce lawyers to see you through. To get started with a confidential consultation, contact us today.