I Do Not Speak English, May I Bring a Family Member to Serve as My Interpreter?

I do not speak English, may I bring a family member to serve as my interpreter?

Often though you understand enough English to work and/or attend school, the use of legal terms coupled with the anxiety of appearing before a judge may be intimidating. So much so, that it can impair the ability to adequately express yourself without the help of a person with full proficiency in the language. Your access to justice depends largely on the spoken and written word. Therefore, you must express yourself in a manner that the judge can understand your case, the facts and defenses. If you do not speak English at all or very little, it is very important to attend your hearings with someone who can translate what you are saying. Remember, clear communication is the key to presenting any court case.

In the State of Florida judges require that hearings be conducted in English and if you do not speak the language, then you must appear before the judge with a registered or court certified interpreter. Courts usually do not allow relatives or friends to serve as interpreters, even if they speak better English than you do. The same applies to mediations. To participate in mediation, you also have an interpreter attend with you.

In criminal cases, the state provides an interpreter free of cost. For civil cases, including cases in the family division, the state does not provide interpreter and is the responsibility of the parties to bring their own interpreter. There are many companies that offer interpreters and you can arrange for the assistance of an interpreter weeks in advance if necessary. It is advisable to explain to the interpreter before the hearing the general details of the case and of course, the date and time of the hearing. The interpreter cannot give you legal advice, they can only translate word for word what you and others in the courtroom during the hearing are saying. Therefore, if you need legal representation, you will need to hire an attorney in addition to an interpreter.

Divorce and family law issues can be complex. For information on how Givens Givens Sparks can assist you with your divorce and family law matters contact one of our attorneys.

Written by:

Victoria Cruz-Garcia | Principle Attorney

Givens Givens Sparks

No hablo Ingles, puedo traer a un familiar para que me sirva de interprete?

Muchas veces aunque entiendes Inglés suficiente para trabajar or estudiar, el lenguaje utilizado en tribunales mezclado con los nervios de estar frente a un juez intimida. Intimida al punto que puede impedir la habilidad de expresarse adecuadamente sin la ayuda de una persona con completo dominio del idioma. Su acceso a la justicia depende en gran parte de la palabra hablada y escrita. Por tanto tienes que expresarte adecuadamente para que el juez entienda su caso, su reclamo y sus defensas. Si no hablas el idioma o si hablas muy poco el idioma, es muy importante asistir la audiencia con alguien quien pueda traducir lo que esta diciendo. Recuerde, comunicaron clara es la clave para presentar cualquier caso en tribunales.

En el Estado de la Florida los jueces requieren que las audiencias se conduzcan en Inglés y si usted no domina el idioma, entonces tiene que comparecer frente al juez con un interprete registrado o certificado. Tribunales usualmente no permiten que familiares o amigos le sirvan de interprete, aunque hablen el idioma mejor que usted. Lo mismo aplica para mediaciones. Para participar en mediación, usted también tendrá que asistir con un interprete.

En casos criminales, el estado provee un interprete libre de costo. Para casos civiles, incluyendo casos de la division de familia, el estado no provee interprete y es la responsabilidad de las partes de traer a su propio interprete. Hay muchas compañías de interpretes que ofrecen servicios y usted puede reservar la ayuda de un interprete con semanas de anticipación si necesario. Es aconsejable que le explique al interprete antes de la audiencia detalles generales del caso y por supuesto la fecha y hora de la audiencia. El interprete no puede darle aconsejaría legal, solo puede traducir palabra por palabra lo que usted y los demás en la sala durante la audiencia están diciendo. Por tanto si usted necesita representación legal, va a necesitar la representación de un abogado y un interprete.

Problemas de ley de divorcio y familia pueden ser complejos. Para obtener información sobre cómo puede ayudar Givens Givens Sparks con su materia de divorcio y familia contacto con uno de nuestros abogados.

Escrito Por:

Victoria Cruz-Garcia | Principle Attorney

Givens Givens Sparks