At Robert Sparks Attorneys, we have seen many divorces caused by many different reasons. Oftentimes, the cause of the divorce simply comes from the age at which people decide to get married. Many years ago, the belief was that individuals who decided to marry at a young age were more likely to end up getting divorced while the risks decreased as individuals got older.
New studies by Family-Studies.org show that while younger newlyweds are still more likely to get divorced, the risk of divorce has increased for individuals who have married for the first time after the age of 35. The study shows the risk of divorce within the first 5 years of the first marriage.
The risks of divorce 20 years ago were as follows:
- 29% for individuals under the age of 20
- 19% for individuals between 20 and 24
- 16% for individuals between 25 and 29
- 16% for individuals between 30 and 34
- 14% for individuals over the age of 35
The belief was that the older people were, the more likely they were to have a successful marriage. These numbers have changed since that time. The study shows between 2006 and 2010, a first marriage at an older age isn’t always more successful. The new divorce risk percentages included:
- 32% for individuals under the age of 20
- 20% for individuals between 20 and 24
- 15% for individuals between 25 and 29
- 14% for individuals between 30 and 34
- 19% for individuals over the age of 35
Overall, there are obvious pros and cons regarding the age of your first marriage and it is ultimately up to you and your significant other to decide what is right for you.
If you are going through a divorce, don’t hesitate to retain the legal counsel you need. Our Tampa divorce attorneys at Robert Sparks Attorneys are dedicated to providing families the strong representation they need to move forward with their case in an effective and timely manner. Call us today to learn how we can help you.