Holidays and Shared Custody Agreements

When the holidays roll around and everyone is spending time with their families, it seems like an easy thing to organize. If parents divorce, though, how does something as important as the holidays work? Who gets the children? These are some of the important factors that you and your ex-spouse must discuss. Our Tampa child custody lawyers at Robert Sparks Attorneys are dedicated to helping families and we know how to help you come up with a plan for holidays. At the end of the day, any decision made should consider the best interests of the children involved.

Alternating Holidays

Schedules can conflict, but it is important to let the children know how important it is to spend time together on the holidays. By alternating holidays, you and your ex-spouse allow the children to spend as much time as possible with each parent. If one parent has the children for Thanksgiving, the other parent may have the children for Christmas, and then they switch the following year.

Celebrating on a Different Day

Many parents don’t think of this option, but it is a good alternative to make sure the children get to see both parents during the holiday. In this situation, the children would spend the actual day of the holiday with one parent, and another day — such as the eve of the day or the following weekend — with the other parent. This allows time to be spent with each parent and the children benefit from both.

Shared Holiday

This arrangement may not work for all families, especially when parents are unable to remain friendly with one another. If possible, it may be in the best interests of the children to have a shared holiday. The children will have both of their parents there to enjoy the special moment and there would be no issues.

Our team at Robert Sparks Attorneys is dedicated to helping parents find the most effective and beneficial custody agreement. The holidays are a time to be spent with the ones your love and making the best situation for the children should be the top priority. Call us today if you need help with a shared custody agreement.