Property Damage

After a car accident, regardless of whether you suffer an injury or not, there will most likely be some damage to the vehicles involved in the accident. How you get your car repaired will depend on your own insurance policy and whether or not you were at fault for the accident. If the accident is your fault, you will likely only be able to file a claim with your own insurance company if you have collision coverage. Whether or not your insurance company will provide you a rental vehicle is also dictated by the terms of your policy. If you do not have collision coverage or rental coverage and the accident is your fault, you will be responsible for your own damages.

If the accident is not your fault, you do not have to file a property damage claim with your insurance company, but you then have to file a claim with the at fault driver's insurance company and check if there is property damage liability coverage. If the policy covers property damage, it would most likely entitle you to get your car repaired and a rental vehicle through the at fault driver's insurance. One potential drawback is that the at fault driver's insurance company may not accept liability for the accident or may not offer to pay you what you feel is reasonable.

They also may take a long time to decide what they want to do with your claim while you are stuck waiting. At that point, you can proceed through your own insurance company to fix your car if you have collision coverage. Your insurance company would then try to collect your deductible or other unpaid expenses involving the property damage claim back for you if possible. A property damage claim is usually handled separately from a personal injury claim, but your personal injury attorney should be willing to assist or answer your questions regarding the damage to your vehicle.